Melbourne’s Burwood Brickwork’s is the World’s Most Sustainable Shopping Centre measured through accreditation to the Living Building Challenge (LBC). The entire project was driven by both environmental and social sustainability, with focus of the LBC on “the relationship between impact and effort”.
Ark Lighting was proud to contribute our lighting products to a couple of projects within this climate conscious project. As a contributing lighting supplier we were required to ensure the lighting design and lighting products met the following requirements for both an environmentally and socially sustainable impact:
- Lighting design meets all illuminance & uniformity requirements as per AS1680 (Minimum lighting levels required for specific tasks)
- Lighting Power Density is no greater than 5 Watts per m2
- All lights to have a CRI at least 80
- Any light fitting with ballast must be high frequency ballasts
- All lamps have diffusers, baffles etc to prevent direct visual exposure to the lamp
- Must have the ability to control the lighting levels to suit their task and the background lighting conditions eg. Dimmable lighting or localised task lighting
While all our products meet or exceed a CRI rating of 80 and are constructed with non-toxic materials (as evidenced with our ingredients lists), the challenge came with providing a power density of no more than 5w/m and meeting the lighting needs of the client. Collaborating with the store designers we were able to meet this challenge and provide two comparative lighting outcomes tailored for their specific purposes: Eye Trend Optometrists and Hui Hui Supermarket.